Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reading Recommendations - Fairy Tale Retellings

Fairy Tale Retellings are one of my favorite types of books to read.  The really good ones are when an author can make a familiar story keep you on your toes.  I also love it when they polish and make tiny details about the old story all shiny and new.  Here are some of my favorites.


The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
This is my all time favorite!  She has created a unique and powerful story that has even sprung into a series where the following books are all based in this world she has created and has nothing to do with any other fairy tales.  Hands down one of my favorite authors!









Entwined by Heather Dixon
Don't be deceived by this book about dancing princesses and the gorgeous dress on the cover --  the main princess in this book kicks serious butt!  Absolutely stunning!




Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
A modern fairy tale retelling of Litte Red Riding Hood that is fantastic!  She has two other fairy tale retellings that I haven't read yet but trust me, I will.





Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
A folk tale retelling rather than a fairy tale but I had to include it because I think it is brilliant!  A story about Robin Hood told from the perspective of Will Scarlet. 











If you enjoy fantasy, I highly recommend Mercedes Lackeys Elemental Masters series.  Each book is based on a fairy tale and I absolutely adore them!  My favorite is Gates of Sleep because Sleeping Beauty is a favorite of my childhood.

What is your favorite fairy tale?  Have you read an retelling of it that you have liked?
















No comments:

Post a Comment