Monday, January 2, 2012

Childhood Favorites

My passion for reading started when I had a horrible 1st grade teacher who told my parents that I was having difficulty with reading(and math but that is still an ongoing battle).  I should probably send her a thank you note.  This started my parents to work with me more in these areas and I fell in love with reading.  My biggest reading loves in elementary school were the Chronicles of Narnia and The Animorphs - both of these are series that were found through Scholastics, a program that I hope will never die.  Another way that I was feed books in elementary was a program called RIF - Reading Is Fundamental.  A truly wonderful program that allowed students to pick out a book from a table and they got to keep it!  I loved RIF day.  Maybe I should figure out a way to support these programs in return for supporting me.
Anyway, I was cleaning my bookshelf and came across some of these other books that I loved in my reading youth.

A Wizard's Dozen: Stories of the Fantastic by Michael Stearns

Twelve stories place everyday kids in all kinds of magical trouble that pits them against everything from dragons and wizards to fairies and giants, in a collection that includes contributions by Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen. 

This book was a birthday present from one of my sisters.  It is fantastic and just gives all kinds fuel for the imagination.






Robin's Country by Monica Furlong
In this gripping retelling of the Robin Hood legend, a mute boy escapes his cruel master and begins a journey of self-discovery when he stumbles into the hideaway of Robin Hood.

This is one of those magical books that I got to pick out from the RIF table. 


Princess Nevermore by Dian Curtis Regan

Princess Quinnella is quite familiar with Mandrian truths. At 15, she's still allowed to come and go as she wishes in the kingdom of Mandria, visiting Melikar the wizard and playing at magic. But she knows that as soon as she turns 16, she will become a woman. A parade of suitors will court her until she chooses one--or the king chooses one for her--then comes marriage, childbearing, and royal protocol. But Quinn isn't ready for this life of predictability. More than anything, she wants to travel to "outer earth," the world above the wishing pool. When a magical mishap sends her to Earth, Quinn gets far more than she bargained for. As she is drawn deeper into this strange new world of skateboards, Halloween dances, and pizza, danger and adolescent intrigue surround her. There's only one problem: she doesn't know how to return to Mandria, and she's not even sure she wants to!

This book is one of the only non-romance novels that I got from WalMart back in the day when romance novels were the only books you could buy from WalMart.


The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons/Searching for Dragons/ Calling on Dragons/Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Collected together for the first time are Patricia C. Wrede's hilarious adventure stories about Cimorene, the princess who refuses to be proper. Every one of Cimorene's adventures is included in its paperback edition--Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, andTalking to Dragons--in one handsome package that's perfect for gift giving. 

This series is sooo brilliant.  This is one were I got the last in the series from the RIF table and didn't read the rest of the series in order either...




Katherine Heart of Freedom Hearts & Dreams Book 1 by Cameron Dokey


Set against well-known historical events, this new Young Adult romance series centers on a hope chest that passes through the lives of various young women who respond to the challenges of their day. Sixteen-year-old Katherine rescues a handsome young stranger who is fleeing from the loyalists, and soon finds out her own father is secretly involved in American Patriot activities. Disguising herself as a boy, she sets out to help the cause of freedom and finds adventure and love along the way.


I devoured this whole series and I am still devastated that there are only 4 books!  I believe that this may have started my love of historical fiction.







Juniper by Monica Furlong

Though Juniper enjoys the easy life of a medieval princess, she chooses to learn about herbs, healing, and the magic within nature from her strange and difficult godmother. As her training comes to an end, Juniper discovers that her power-hungry aunt is using black magic to seize the throne. Juniper must use her as-yet-untested powers to stop her—before the kingdom is destroyed!


Truly brilliant!  Also probably my first cover love!  Isn't it gorgeous?!






What are your favorite childhood reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment